Friday, February 14, 2014

#135 Eric Sogard

#135 Eric Sogard
First impression of what’s going on: I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite cards this year. I say that knowing some of you may not even think this to be the best Oakland A’s card this year. You've got a lefty bunting, fantastic eyewear and the tops of some high socks. Topps even did a great job on the crop this time.

OAKLAND, CA - SEPTEMBER 1: Eric Sogard #28 of the Oakland Athletics bunts against the Tampa Bay Rays during the game at O.co Coliseum on Sunday, September 1, 2013 in Oakland, California. (Photo by Brad Mangin/MLB Photos via Getty Images)
The Reality of the Photo: The full photo clarifies that they’re not just high socks but actually stirrups. I’m not real familiar with Sogard or the A’s uniforms but I usually associate stirrups with throwbacks. The caption doesn’t tell me whether this is a sacrifice bunt or Sogard is bunting for a hit so let’s go to the BOXSCORE.


In the second inning, the A’s tried a little small ball to get the runs flowing. It started to work, advancing a runner from first to third, but they ran out of outs.


There’s a newer statistical based line of thinking against sacrifice bunts, but I for one am still a fan. I like to think of baseball as a strategy game between managers as much as a duel between pitcher and batter. And small ball plays into that.

On Sogard’s batting glove we get a pretty good look at the Nike swoosh.


On to the back:


Rookie Fact: Eric’s first home run came off future teammate Bartolo Colon.

I don’t remember ever having a former opponent later become a teammate or even the opposite. I was a military brat growing up so even though I played Little League, I moved around between seasons so it didn't come up. Unfortunately, I’d probably be the guy who rubbed it in.

“Hey man, the best day of my life was my first home run. Well, you remember, you were there.”

The BOXSCORE shows his solo blast came in the 3rd inning while Bartolo Colon was with the Yankees. It wasn't the game winner or anything but the A’s did win by a run, 7-6, so it definitely helped.

Information I’ll be tracking:

Card Number: #135
Player Name: Eric Sogard
Team: Oakland Athletics
Position: Second Base
Game Date: September 1, 2013
Opponent: Tampa Bay Rays
Stadium: O.co Coliseum
Division: American League West
Home/Away: Home
Outcome of the game: 5-1, Athletics over the Rays, Win for the player depicted
Alternate/Throwback Jersey: No
Bats/Throws: Left/Right
Birthdate: 5/22/1986
Birthplace: Arizona
Cameos by: N/A
Photographer: Brad Mangin
Niche collections this card could fit into: Bunting, High Socks, Stirrups, Sunglasses, Partial Southpaw, Free Advertising

My Grade: Lots of niches for this card. Combine them with a great crop job, this card gets an easy A. If Sogard was wearing a throwback/alternate jersey or the photo was taken with the ball a little closer to the bat (and not cropped out), this would have been an even easier A+.

I'm giving the card Sunglasses credit, even thoough they are clearly glasses because I'm too lazy to go back and change the other tags to Eyewear in general.

2 comments: